Thursday, April 26, 2012

Childhood

Question: What were you like as a child?

I'm sure my mother could answer this one much better than I could - and she'd probably be much more flattering of me.

As a kid, I was a handful. I was bossy, imaginative, brilliant, and willful. Those four things combined to also make me cunning and manipulative. People played by my rules or I didn't play - and I think they were usually happier if I just didn't play. I had an attitude the size of Canada and an ego that was probably twice as big. I preferred the company of adults, though I don't quite remember why now, and I had a really hard time making friends - for reasons you can probably imagine. I became something of an introvert after a while, taking the frequent rejection from my peers as a sign that either everybody was screwed up or I just wasn't worth anyone's time. It didn't help that I was gullible and other kids frequently used that weakness as a form of revenge. Ultimately it was my own fault, but the end result was the same. I ended up spending most of my time alone and very lonely, fostering my imagination with writing and one-person games of pretend. When I got bored enough I'd make my brothers play with me, but they would eventually tire of my rules and I'd feel the need to beat them up.

All in all, I was an incredibly smart child, but not a very nice one.

No comments:

Post a Comment