Friday, January 27, 2012

Valentines Day


With the approach of Valentines Day I'm finding myself oddly sympathetic to the Grinch post-Cindy Lou. I'm starting to get all mushy over something that before just meant cute decorations and a shape I could actually draw halfway decently. What used to excite me for one reason and one reason only (candy) is suddenly filled with weird emotions I can't quite identify.

Dearest says that this is the first valentine's I've allowed myself to really feel anything about because this is the first valentine's that is actually poised to go somewhat well. This makes an odd sort of sense to me, primarily because he knows me better than I know myself and he's usually right about these things. Even last year was rather horrible around this time of year and we ended up having a huge (as in, 3 days long) fight the weekend of valentines. Years before that had never brought me any particularly romantic feelings either. Sure, every girl has faint hopes of having someone confess his love on valentines day in the form of a sweet card or a box of chocolates or even an engagement ring. But I never seemed to be in a relationship on valentines. So for me, it was candy. The two years (last year and the year before that) when I did have a relationship were fairly awful so it continued to be candy.

This year, for some reason I don't fully understand, is different. I suddenly...want things. Like a date. Dates are fun and I'm always up for one, but wanting one on a specific day? A Hallmark holiday? It doesn't make any sense. But, I guess that's just how it goes.

So happy early valentine's everyone, and here's to hoping that we get to do something to celebrate it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment